Consumer  Support

Please choose which type of form you would like to use based on your situation:


Use this when your information is NOT a dispute, such as needing to do one of the following:
  • Send information about this account
  • Report a payment on the account
  • Report a debtor as deceased
  • Report a technical issue with our service or with your payment
For these situations, visit CBA's form for submitting Status Updates, located here.


If you have a dispute, then please visit CBA's form for submitting Disputes, located here.

Note that misuse of the Dispute Form to report things that are not a dispute will only slow you down, since use of that form requires Creditors Bureau Associates to do some additional processing due to government regulations that require additional steps for the processing of Dispute Form submissions.